Tuesday, December 28, 2010

A small thing but…


I got to sit on the couch and finish this little shawl on Christmas day. I've wanted to be able to just relax like that for a long time. It turned out to be the best gift of all. I started out going in another direction with this yarn, it's from Knit Picks, "bare" sock yarn. I dyed it in these autumn colors then forgot about it; must have been before I decided I wasn't knitting socks anymore (they wear out too fast). After I rediscovered it I thought about working up a straight rectangle stole in an openwork squares, modular knit pattern by Iris Schreier.
The fabric is more dense than what I did finally and I knit a piece about 15" long and just as wide before I realized I didn't have enough yarn for a stole. So I frogged it. I like the openwork pattern and will maybe incorporate it as an edging for a sweater; something with bigger yarn. Something like the Sweater Spin 2011 group on Ravelry maybe?? I think I have enough fiber in here to dye and spin, and have been mulling over my requirements since I joined the group.
So far I know:
  • Must have an open or V-neck.
  • Must have three quarter length sleeves.
  • Yarn should be no more than sport weight if I intend to wear it at all.
  • Soft, no scratchy- scratchy.
Other aspects like color and design haven't come into focus yet, also whether to dye the fiber first or after it has been spun. More, later.

No comments:

Post a Comment